Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sabine Weiss, Photography






Merchant of Brooms, 1961





"I was testifying, I thought that picture would tell us a strong feature of the human condition. I always felt the need to denounce my photos, the injustices that occur. "-" I do not like things very bright but sobriety ... it's not to love well, you have to be moved. The love of people, it's beautiful. This is serious, there is a terrible depth. We must go beyond the story, identify the chalice, recollection. I photograph to preserve the ephemeral, the random set, keep that picture will disappear: gestures, attitudes, objects that are evidence of our passage. The camera picks them up, freeze them just as they disappear."







Les Saintes Maries de la mer, 1960


According to google's translated copy of a french wikipedia page, Sabine Weiss was a Swiss-French female photographer born in 1924 who bought her first camera at the age twelve. Her photography is called 'humanist, "Light, gesture, gaze, movement, silence, rest, rigor, relaxation, I would incorporate everything in that movement that is expressed with a minimum of the average man's essential...My photos...express some of the love I have for life".

No comments:

Post a Comment